This week, as a slight tangent to organizing, we invited professional stylist Jalyn Tani Lang to teach us how to mine our closets to easily create a “special” outfit for holiday events. Perhaps this will inspire you to take on a closet makeover after the holidays!
Holidays spell joy and good cheer but can also spell “fashion crisis”! What to wear to that special event? Do you dig out that reindeer sweater and flashing lights necklace? Here are some ideas, on trend, to lessen the sartorial anxiety and have you looking festive AND stylish!
Use Accessories to up the bling quotient and add some pizazz to slacks, suits or dresses
- Sparkly pumps with a pointed toe or bejeweled smoking slipper or flats
- Dangly rhinestone earrings
- Statement necklace
- Beaded collars added to a tailored blouse or simple sweater
- ornate cocktail rings and bold bracelets
- pearl necklaces, layered in multiples
- sumptuous shawls
- embellished scarves
Use Fabrics for elegance
- velvet pants or blazers
- brocade jacket or pants
- lace in anything– a skirt, a blouse, a scarf or shawl
- silk crepe blouse and tuxedo suit
Use Color and Pattern
- in a sea of black, a head to toe winter white outfit will stand out
- black and gold make a strong pairing
- a dress in a saturated hue, emerald green, cobalt blue, plum, purple
- metallics are a festive neutral, use liberally
- color blocking continues to be a strong trend
- animal prints add strong accents to any outfit
Putting it all together:
- Re-imagine a sheath or A-line dress by adding a dressy jacket, sequined cardigan or bolero jacket. Add knockout jewelry, sparkly heels and an evening bag. An embellished or animal print belt can define the waist.
- A metallic tank or top under a suit can go to work. But change out your work shoes for evening shoes, your huge tote for a small glittery clutch, your dainty jewelry for some statement pieces, and your suit now goes to the office party. Another idea is to button up your white blouse under your suit and add a colorful sparkly statement necklace.
- Coated denim jeans in a metallic or rich color, paired with a cashmere sweater in a brilliant color with a statement necklace and fun footwear is casual but party ready
- The tuxedo look is always a classic and sophisticated and with Patent leather brogues, you are on trend.
- If you love all things vintage: A poufy skirt, with a cropped fitted sweater, rhinestone clip ons, with fitted ankle boots or sparkly flats, and a beaded clutch and beaded cardigan for a cool retro look.
You need not spend a fortune to look like a million bucks! Have fun with holiday dressing, confident that you’re current and stylish.