Last week we focused on great gifts to help people stay organized. This week we focus on “consumable” gifts. The advantage of a consumable gift is it gives the recipient a special experience, doesn’t take up any room and doesn’t leave behind any clutter.
Edibles and Drinkables
- Your parents might appreciate a gift certificate to their favorite restaurant or one you think they’d like
- Gift an invitation to dine out with you at the hot new restaurant or a known old favorite – your treat of course!
- Teens love gift cards to Peet’s, Starbucks, ice cream, lunch food
- Gift baskets of food – nice fruits, cheeses, nuts, chocolates. Who wouldn’t want to try a variety of yummy foods put together by you…or from your favorite vendor? The SF Bay Area is home to many artisan chocolate and food makers; a basket of local treats makes a personal touch.
- How about a wine club membership? …or a Beer-of-the-Month Club subscription?
- Tickets or gift certificates to movies, dance, theater, museums or sports events can be prized by people who can’t seem to justify frivolous expenses
- Subscriptions to entertainment services such as Amazon Prime or Netflix can provide easy access to movies and entertainment at home
- Gift of a special outing with you: ice skating, a picnic in the park, a visit to a children’s museum, the zoo or an amusement park
- Annual pass for a ski resort or for a fun place like Six Flags Magic Mountain
- Lottery tickets make great stocking stuffers!
- Get cooking! Sur La Table offers a holiday tamale workshop. Cooking lessons are fun to do with a group or with one special friend: either at a store, a cooking school or in your own kitchen
- A stack of specialty magazines on gaming or weaving or architecture – whatever they’re into – are a treat!
- Would your giftee love an art or other adult education class? Offer to take it with them!
- How about a subscription to a meditation website such as Headspace – a gym for your head?
- A block of classes at the local pilates or yoga studio can inspire them to get going on their health goals
- Sign them up for a historical tour of a local hot spot
- Trips to your local water park are memorable events
- Massages, facials, and nail services are always welcome treats
- A thorough and expert housecleaning session is great for folks who always do it themselves (Locally we recommend Casa Azul and Cleaning Solutions)
- Hot tub session at a place such as Piedmont Springs
- Do you know someone who complains about the state of their closets, garage or playroom? Give the gift of a session with a professional organizer!
- What do YOU do well? Offer a session with your loved one sharing your skills and time with them: interior design help, personal shopping, gardening, back rubs, clutter-clearing, cooking a meal or teaching a cooking technique, a personalized sight-seeing tour, iPhone instruction-sessions…the sky’s the limit!
Remember to follow up with your giftee. Sometimes people forget about gift certificates. Put a reminder in your calendar for sometime in January or February to touch back with your recipient. Reinvite them to take you up on your offer of a fun experience or remind them of the gift certificate you gave them.
Have a great consumable gift idea? Share it here! Happy gifting and happy holidays!