Katherine tells the story of her home office…
I wanted to turn my grown daughter’s abandoned room into a full-fledged office but I all I had was a piecemeal of cabinets and desktops. To get a more professional feel, I figured I’d need to have my desk and countertop custom built.
My first step was to have a contractor come and help me figure out the best configuration and give me a bid. I had heard great things about Bay Home & Window so I made an appointment. Their designer, Jeff Johnson came to my home and gave me a plan that was way better than I had imagined! It seemed pricey compared to my makeshift set-up, but I loved the design. I stalled on purchasing the new office furniture and I wasn’t sure why.
As it turns out, I was stuck because I didn’t know what my needs were until I got really organized. That’s when I brought in my professional organizer colleague.
What were my goals?
- I wanted to create a custom built-in desk and file system suited to the way I work
- I like lots of open desktop space to work on projects and wanted easy access to the information I need every day
- My receipts system was inadequate…too much paper stuffed into my receipts drawer
- I wanted to streamline tax preparation
What got accomplished that I wouldn’t have done on my own?
- I spent time sorting through the little bits in my drawers that I wouldn’t have wanted to spend time doing…it was tedious, but getting it done helped clear the logjam
- I made paper files that mirrored my tax categories in my financial software program – Schedule C and business use of home categories
- I purged many files from past conferences and trainings and archived many others
How long did it take?
I went through 8 file drawers, 1 receipts drawer and 2 supplies drawers – purging old docs, refreshing file labels and creating new files from the homeless pieces of paper I found in and around my desk. It took about 4 hours.
- I was able to pare down my files and supplies stored from 8 to 6 drawers, saving me from having to purchase another file cabinet (at least $300)
- My active client and project files got moved up to desk level to enable easy access
- Clearing out unnecessary paper and gathering my miscellanous notes into a system helped me feel less burdened by my “To-Do’s”
I didn’t expect to feel such a powerful sense of relief from dealing with that drawer of miscellaneous bits. I never thought it would be worth my time. I look in my drawer and there is a sense of clarity and …dare I say…HAPPINESS? that what I truly need and use is right there, at my fingertips!
I am now able to confidently move forward with a built-in desk system that works for me…without over-building (and over-paying.) I’ll keep you posted on the progress!