“What do I need to keep and how long should I keep it?”
This is one of the most asked questions we get from clients around their papers.
For years now we’ve been using FreedomFiler® with clients. We love this system because it really teaches clients exactly that – what do you need to keep and for how long?
The beauty of the FreedomFiler® system is that it does the work of making these decisions for you. It is designed to cycle papers OUT of the files – forever eliminating the need to set aside time to “purge the filing cabinet”.
FreedomFiler® is made up of 4 color-coded sections:
- GREEN for monthly miscellaneous transactions
- BLUE for tax-related transactions
- RED for permanent family and property records
- ORANGE/YELLOW for current policies, agreements
- You may set up an optional fifth section in PURPLE, for saving literature, articles, and notes
When filing papers with FreedomFiler®, you only have to figure out what kind of paper you are holding; that determines which color group it gets filed in and the color group will determine how long it’s kept.
To use the system ask 4 simple questions
- Does this paper require immediate action or follow-up?
- Can I use this paper for taxes?
- Is this a vital record belonging to a person or an asset?
- Is this a newer version of an existing document?
Click the graphic below to see how it works:
Could it be that easy? YES!
If you use FreedomFiler® share your experience. If you have a question, share that too!