Have a cherished kid in your life that you enjoy gifting to? Great intentions and generosity from friends and family leave many homes overrun with toys. Every birthday or holiday brings in gifts from multiple people and often each of those people gives multiple gifts!
When considering what to give, begin with the end in mind. Inevitably the toy you give will be outgrown and need to be disposed of somehow – it is VERY difficult to donate toys. Most thrift stores won’t take them. Toy consignment stores are picky and toys need to be complete and in great condition. Most families don’t have the time or energy to sell things online or have garage sales. All this means many, many toys end up in landfill or homes get overrun because folks don’t want to just throw things away.
There are lots of clutter-free ways to express your love and care for kiddos, here are some easy gift alternatives to toys:
- Memberships – or single visit tickets to fun kid places such as amusement parks, zoos, or aquariums
- Digital Gifts – Audible, iTunes, digital books, online magazines
- Experiences – movie tickets, miniature golf or fun centers, mani-pedi or facials, a picnic outing with special relative
- Classes – toddler play spaces or mini gym. Summer camp. Swimming, gymnastics, sewing, cooking, art, nature; there are classes in every topic imaginable!
- College fund or savings bonds – Open or contribute to a college fund
- Food – a variety popcorn tin, box of cake pops, tour of Jelly Belly Factory, candy apple making kit, cake decorating kit
A quick google search of “clutter-free gifts for kids” will turn up lots of other creative ideas. Give your adult children a break by not burdening them with toys to sort, store and pass on when the kids outgrow them.