As Professional Organizers, we meet people who are anxious about what to give their loved ones that are personal, valued and “green.” One solution is to give “consumable” gifts. The advantage of a consumable gift is it gives the recipient a special experience, doesn’t take up any room and doesn’t leave behind any clutter.
Edibles and Drinkables
- Gift baskets of food – nice fruits, cheeses, nuts, chocolates. Who wouldn’t want to try a variety of yummy foods put together by you…or from your favorite vendor? The SF Bay Area is home to many artisan chocolate and food makers; a basket of local treats makes a personal touch.
- Your parents might appreciate a gift certificate to your favorite restaurant or one you think they’d like.
- Gift an invitation to dine out with you at the hot new restaurant or a known old favorite – your treat of course!
- Teens love gift cards to Peet’s, Starbucks, ice cream, lunch food.
- How about a wine or beer club membership?
- Consider an outing to an Escape Room – a group game in which players solve a series of puzzles and riddles.
- Tickets or gift certificates to movies, dance, theater, museums or sports events can be prized by people who can’t seem to justify frivolous expenses.
- How about Poetry by Request? My colleague, Claire Tompkins brings her trusty Royal typewriter to events and creates personalized poetry on demand.
- Subscriptions to entertainment services such as Amazon Prime or Netflix can provide easy access to movies and entertainment at home.
- Gift of a special outing with you: ice skating, a picnic in the park, a visit to a children’s museum, the zoo or an amusement park.
- Annual pass for a ski resort or for a fun place like Six Flags Magic Mountain.
- Lottery tickets make great stocking stuffers!
- Did you know that AirBNB offers gift cards?
- Get cooking! Kitchen on Fire offers a variety of classes. Cooking lessons are fun to do with a group or with one special friend: either at a store, a cooking school or in your own kitchen.
- A stack of specialty magazines on gaming or weaving or architecture – whatever they’re into – are a treat!
- Would your giftee love an art or other adult education class? Offer to take it with them!
- How about a subscription to a meditation website such as Headspace – a gym for your head?
- A block of classes at the local pilates or yoga studio can inspire them to get going on their health goals.
- Sign them up for a historical tour of a local hot spot
- Massages, facials, and nail services are always welcome treats
- A thorough and expert housecleaning session is great for folks who always do it themselves
- Hot tub session at a place such as Piedmont Springs
- Do you know someone who complains about the state of their closets, garage or playroom? Give the gift of a session with a professional organizer!
- What do YOU do well? Offer a session with your loved one sharing your skills and time with them: interior design help, personal shopping, gardening, back rubs, clutter-clearing, cooking a meal or teaching a cooking technique, a personalized sight-seeing tour, iPhone instruction-sessions…the sky’s the limit!
Remember to follow up with your giftee. Sometimes people forget about gift certificates. Put a reminder in your calendar for a couple months in the future to touch back with your recipient. Re-invite them to take you up on your offer of a fun experience or remind them of the gift certificate you gave them.
Have a great consumable gift idea? Share it here!