We’ve all heard the stories about the exploding real estate market – properties are more valuable than ever. Have you ever looked around your house and thought about the value of the different storage spaces inside your home? Particular drawers and shelves and closets?
Have you consciously chosen where items live or do they end up living wherever they happen to fit?
Places in your home that are easily accessible and highly functional are PRIME PROPERTY! Things that live in them should be items you use frequently and are of high value to your life.
Often we see cabinets and drawers filled with items that aren’t very active – crowding out active items onto counters and floors or into hard-to-reach places.
Prime real estate includes:
- The top 2 row of drawers in any cabinet or desk
- The center 2 shelves in upper cabinets or closets
- The spaces within arms reach on your desk when you are sitting
- The top drawer of a 2-drawer filing cabinet
- The 2 middle drawers of a 4-drawer filing cabinet
Storing high-use items in the most accessible places in your home makes life easier. For example, if you prepare lunches daily having your sandwich wraps and/or lunch containers both near your food prep area and in a higher drawer make lunch-making more convenient.
So, when you’re putting things away…after a move or after a grocery-shopping trip, ask yourself:
- Where will I want to find this?
- What other collateral items will I need to use with it? (see Friends with Friends post)
- Do I use this often enough that it needs to be more more accessible?
Take a fresh look at how you’re using your storage spaces and replace the squatters with items that earn their right to live in your prime real estate.