The start of a new year is the perfect time to set up a new way to handle the constant flow of incoming paper. If you often feel frustrated or overwhelmed with paper and wonder where to put things, you aren’t alone!
For years now we’ve been using FreedomFiler® with clients. We love this system because it really teaches clients what they need to keep and for how long.
The beauty of the FreedomFiler® system is that it does the work of making these decisions for you. It is designed to cycle papers OUT of the files – forever eliminating the need to set aside time to “purge the filing cabinet”.
FreedomFiler® is made up of 4 color-coded sections:
- GREEN for monthly miscellaneous transactions
- BLUE for tax-related transactions
- RED for permanent family and property records
- ORANGE/YELLOW for current policies, agreements
- You may set up an optional fifth section in PURPLE, for saving literature, articles, and notes
When filing papers with FreedomFiler®, you only have to figure out what kind of paper you are holding; that determines which color group it gets filed in and the color group will determine how long it’s kept.
To use the system ask 4 simple questions
- Does this paper require immediate action or follow-up?
- Can I use this paper for taxes?
- Is this a vital record belonging to a person or an asset?
- Is this a newer version of an existing document?
Click the graphic below to see how it works:
Could it be that easy? YES! Check out our short video intro to give you a taste.
If you use FreedomFiler® share your experience. If you have a question, share that too!